Friday, December 19, 2008

Heading North!


Well it's nice to feel normal again. I have been laid up the past week with a classic west african parasite. If there is one thing a person gains from living in west africa--it's intestines of steel. Also finished my exams for the semester--all A's. Thank goodness because there's no excuse for not having good grades when being so far away from all of the usual academic distractions.

Am looking very forward to retiring my laptop and "bush chic" vibe for the next few weeks and going back to the western world. What I am not looking forward to is the journey there. 1st Leg: Fly from Mine to Bamako and wait six hours for 2nd Leg: Fly Bamako to Paris and wait two hours for 3rd Leg: Fly Paris to Madrid and 4th Leg: Drive five hours from Madrid to La Coruna. As long I get there safely, I don't really have any complaints. I know this sounds a little basic but I can't wait to have a UK manufactured Diet Coke and paved roads to drive on sans four-legged traffic jams (see photo above) . Have certainly learned to appreciate some of the simpler things in life. Will also be nice to see some holiday decor (sans x-mas music). You wouldn't have a clue it is near X-mas, Chanukkah or New Year around here. Wish I could also have drunken Santa Tom around to tell jokes and hand out pints of pale ale. Maybe next year.

The most amazing thing happened in the middle of the night last night--it rained! We haven't seen rain in three months (let alone clouds). Very unusual but very appreciated by everyone/everything.

My travel partner will be taking a lap top so I look forward to a Jolly Mali blog abroad. I also wish everyone a very happy (and jolly) and safe holiday season. If possible, try to do something for someone less fortunate than you this holiday season and practice that throughout the year. Lots of love to y'all!

1 comment:

groovehouse said...

I really love reading your blog and adventures. I can't freakin' believe you are in Africa! So lucky.