Wednesday, December 10, 2008

This and That


Although it looks like we're on a flat surface, I can guarantee you that Reinet (the patron saint of Rioja) and I had a decent hike up this "Iron Hill" in eastern Senegal. Never realized until I posted this photo but it seems we are dressed as if we belong to the Malian Chapter of Che Guevara United. I really need to wear a pink scarf or some colorful bangles when out in the bush.
Tabaski seemed to have went well for those who celebrated it. I handed out candy instead of lamb shanks and all recipients were quite appreciative (despite they probably ate the candy after their lamb chops).
I wanted to take some time to say how grateful I am for the Lebanese population of this area. We have some wicked awesome Lebanese dudes on site here who keep the pantry stocked with whole grain flour and soy milk and the DVD player spinning Wes Anderson movies. They can get anything--anytime. I think I will be forever indebted (and probably would not have lasted more than a week in Mali) without all the Lebanese-owned businesses throughout West Africa. I look forward to one day visiting Lebanon and giving everyone a big hug.
I would also like to give hugs to my dear sweet Mandy with her lovely compliments. She is definitely one of the ladies I admire most. Speaking of Mandy, did you know there is a Sammy Terry fan club on Facebook?!?

1 comment:

Mandy M. said...

Gosh - now I really, really love your blog!

Sammy Terry freaks me out. You know - this past Halloween he made an appearance at the Harrodsburg Haunted House! I was uneasy that whole night knowing he was just a few miles from my house! If I joined the FaceBook Fan Club, would that mean I would constantly see his creepy face on my page? He and his obviously fake, black spider hanging on the even more obvious string are just too weird.