Monday, December 1, 2008

East Senegal Weekend


I have spent the past weekend at an exploration camp across the river in Senegal. (Notice the photo of some of the little dudes hangin' on the river) It's a stunning area. However, I think every Tsetse fly in Eastern Senegal decided to investigate us. It just wouldn't be trip to a new area in West Africa without the local insects giving you a massive amount of itchy bon voyage gifts. This was also my first experience of an all-dude camp. If you have the time one day, I'll give you the one-on-one briefing. I also had my first experience with an interesting array of foods. Not as bad as it could be, but I now know the scent of deep fried fish heads is a superior appetite supressant.
There were some great highlights though, a lung-expanding hike up one of the local hills which included an inadvertant ambush on a family of mongooses (mongeese?). We also saw a huge troop of baboons and some antelope looking things. (Eventually, I will get around to primping my Picassa site so I can share more photos.) The absolute best was the overwhelmingly appreciated organization of a Thanksgiving BBQ on top one of the hills. It has been ages since I've enjoyed a bonfire in the middle of nowhere and cooked everything from scratch on the fire. Bliss....
Hope everyone had a wicked awesome Thanksgiving.

No comments: