Wednesday, November 26, 2008

Getting Thankful


Am slowly recovering from last night's festivities. Red wine hangovers are never welcomed in 98 degree weather. Reinet, my newly dubbed Patron Saint of Rioja, flew in from the UK and brought two bottles of Spanish Rioja with her. Therefore, last night we feasted upon some of my homemade spinach and chicken lasagna and mucho vino. Thanks to my sous chef, the lasagna noodles were also made from scratch (whole grain cracked pepper noodles!)

Was feeling a little down earlier b/c I will be spending Thanksgiving alone. Everyone foxtrot oscared today to go over to the Senegal camp. However, tomorrow is just a regular day (and no sign of a turkey within about 1000 miles) here so it won't be too depressing. Plus, I was looking through photos earlier and found this one of a local village (yes that's a burnt trash pile in front of the hut). I'm extremely thankful I was neither raised in this type of environment nor do I live in it now. These people will probably never have a Thanksgiving dinner (nor my Mamaw Beaumont's Date Pudding). I've got it pretty good, even if I am in the third poorest country in the world. Was also thinking back to last Thanksgiving when my Mom came down to Houston and we epitomized gluttony by devouring a half log of Boucheron and several bottles of a NZ Sauv Blanc---and that was just the starter. Probably not going to do a repeat performance this year.

On the upside, I'll be heading over to the Senegal camp on Friday and we're going to do a West African Thanksgiving BBQ. Now.....time to get to those lasagna leftovers--sans vino.

No comments: