Friday, November 14, 2008

Southern Living


Am down in Southern Mali for the week, near the Ivory Coast (for those of you with a map). Although I thoroughly appreciate the change of venue, it is unbelievably dusty here. I went for a morning and evening run yesterday but it probably would have been healthier to run in downtown Manhattan during rush hour instead.

This area seems much more populated than my stomping grounds up north. Every village still looks the same though===Beaucoup de mud huts and burning trash piles with a scattering of geeps (goats and sheep), chickens and donkeys. I still can't decide if African donkeys look more sad than American donkeys.

I've actually made a friend on site here. He's a two year old boy who is the only young child not to cry upon my first encounter with him. Perhaps it's because of my white skin or perhaps because decades of UN immunization givers are white females (causing Pavlovian-like fear with most young natives), but African babies do NOT like me. I have made an infinite amount of African babies cry simply by smiling and speaking googly French to them. I might as well be waving around a big immunization needle and shouting at them because no matter what, they are going to release the tears and screams when they see me. Fortunately, most of these babies' mothers find it highly entertaining. Anyway, this little dude rides around the site with his little tricycle (an extremely rare and prized possession for the locals) and rides over to greet me during my morning and evening runs. I wonder how long I can keep this facade of "knowing how to speak French" with him........ (For those of you who have not already witnessed it, my French is awful. Please send a handsome French tutor if you happen to have an extra one hanging around your house.)

By the way, I would like to correct a mistake from my last blog--my favorite Bamako restaurant is spelled Suhkathai. Had the world's greatest Thai Beef Salad there. The vinaigrette was absolutely divine and thought I might pass along the ingredients--do your own measurements.....lemongrass white vinegar (let some lemongrass hang in some vinegar for a day), lime juice, sesame oil, cracked chilis, finely chopped onion, crushed cilantro, pinch of sugar, and some salt. Make sure to mix it vinaigrette style and drizzle it over some romaine, carrots, tomatoes, onions and medium rare fillet. Would also make a great marinade for meat or tofu.......

Time to take a Musculoskeletel Exam...would love to have a box of Oreos to accompany it (note: please send handsome French tutor with Oreos......)



1 comment:

shinta said...

Darling, I can come over to be your sexy french tutor !!!